Seoul Station-Yeomcheongyo(Bridge)-Yakhyeon Catholic Church-St. Joseph Apts.-Imyeongnae Plaster Room-Chungjeong Tower
Around 2 Hours
Persons who miss the old landscapes of Seoul, have big interest in the alleys and have curiosity about the surrounding area of
It is the country’s first handmade shoes street having originated in the period that shoe mending shops started opening their business with the vitalization of Gyeongseong Station at the places where the traffic in leather was increasing and many people who repaired the military boots of the American forces opened their own shoe maker shops. Shops were on the 1st floor and shoes factories were on 2nd~4th floors, doing both retail and wholesale businesses. Because of economic recession and the cheap products from China, they are focusing on special shoes like dance shoes.
The catholic church was established on a hill named Yakhyeon looking down Seosomun in 1891. It was the second main catholic church in Seoul separated from Myeong-dong Cathedral. While Myeong-dong Cathedral took its missionary activities within the four main gates, Yakhyeon Catholic Church set about missionary works out of the four main gates. Designated as the historical site No. 252, the church was built as a western style of brick building for the first time in Korea, designed by the French Father E. G. Coste) and constructed by Chinese engineers. Unfortunately, the inside of church was destroyed by arson attack in 1998. The current appearance of the church was restored in 2000.
Imyeongnae plaster is a medicine for boil that the late Myeong-nae I (18050~1952) developed based on the medical books of oriental medicine and knowledge on western pharmacy which he learned from the French Missionary Father Emilus Devise. As many people died of boil in poor medical environments, Imyeongnae plaster became a household medicine. After death of Myeong-nae, his second son-in-law operated Myeongnae orental medical clinic in that place for a while but now a pub is running there.
Chungjeong Tower is a house designed in the 1910s by Henry Bauld Gordon who also designed the Severance Hospital in the Peach Valley outside the South Gate. The old house was built in unique style adopting European, Japanese and Korean styles of architecture. The owner of the house was McLellan who came to Korea to transfer the American technologies in the time of enlightenment and worked in the Hanseong Electric Company. Now, the house is taken by a beloved restaurant and gallery with a garden in quiet atmosphere.